Identifying Termite Damage
We all know the damage that termites can cause in new and old properties, which is why it’s important to recognise the warning signs and contact an experienced pest control company as quickly as possible. Read the following to learn how to tell if you have termites in your walls and surrounding structures.
The Warning Signs of a Termite Nest
There are a few symptoms to watch out for that can tell you whether or not you have a termite infestation. The best way to learn how to tell if wood has termites is to look out for odd or unnatural damage in the wooden parts of your home or business. Different types of termites create different types of damage, so if you notice something, call a professional to come and take a look.
Other signs of a termite nest include:
- Mud tunnels or passageways that termites use to move around the structures of your home
- Adult Reproductive termites, called “Alates”, that leave to form new colonies “Swarming flights” – they are winged termites that can be spotted around window sills and indoor light
- Discarded wings from Alates – they lose their wings when they choose a place to settle
- Cracked or bubbling paint caused by internal damage
- Hollow sounding timber
- A musty odour, similar to water damage
What to Do When You Find Termites
You’re much more likely to spot the damage caused by termites than you are to see the termites themselves. If you do notice any of the above signs, it’s best to not disturb and call a professional straight away. Termite nests can be complicated to eradicate and should only be undertaken by a professional.
Don’t panic, disturb or use do it yourself sprays. You could endanger your home further. if you do find the signs of damage Call Critters Pest Management immediately and we’ll inspect your home for you.